TIPS: The secret of serums
Serums are feather-light facial formulas, with heavy-duty benefits. Here’s how to get the best out of them:
1. Obviously, always apply to perfectly cleansed skin and slightly moist skin; some experts say moist skin is ten times more permeable than dry.
2. Apply the serum first (before any facial oil, moisturiser, sun-screen and make-up) so that the active ingredients can penetrate the skin.
3. Apply a pea sized amount with two fingers to avoid wastage and press (do not rub) into your skin.
4. Always allow serums to penetrate fully before applying moisturiser.
5. Use your serum in the morning and the evening before bed.
6. Pick a serum to suit your skin:
- for firming go for one that includes peptides such as L’Oréal Revitalift Triple Power Concentrated System
- for brightening opt for a formula with retinol like RoC Retinol Correxion Max Wrinkle Resurfacing System
- for improved skin tone chose one rich in antioxidant ingredients such as Vitamin C.
- for an overnight serum pick one rich in essential oils and Omega-3 fatty acids such as Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate. This little bottle of magic will last you for months, it’s so rich. We also like the Kiehl’s Powerful Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate.
Star Product: Orchidée Imperiale
Once a while a product comes along that feels, well, special. This is just that sort of product. Guerlain have created something unique here using a combination of nature’s most powerful ingredients and technology. This serum not only goes on like silk and makes you feel younger looking almost immediately, but has a fabulous effect on existing skin damage, minimising age spots and other pigmentation disorders. The high UV protection factor of 50 will also ensure no further damage is done. We love it!