The world’s longest desert marathon is coming to Dubai
Fitness folk we’ve got some great news for you, the world’s longest marathon is coming to Dubai.
The 270km run – yikes, will take place at the Al Marmoom Desert Conservation Reserve this December and will last for five grueling days – December 11- December 15.
If the Ultra Marathon sounds like your cup of tea, be sure to book your spot by September 1 because the fee goes up from AED5,800 to AED6,100 after that. The fee includes transport, camp accommodation, a daily meal before the start of the race, a road map, a t-shirt and a nice shiny medal – see, you’re already a winner.
If you need a little bit more convincing to take on the rather daunting experience, you’d be happy to note that the winners of the men, women and group category get a trophy and a prize worth AED22,000.
Peeps that finish in second and third place get prizes too.
To help you out – no amount of money could entice us to do it, sorry, we asked UAE endurance runner, Lee Ryan for some tips on how to run a marathon….
1. Goal setting is always the starting point
"Set your challenge – and make sure you know exactly why you are doing it."
2. You can make your reason as personal as you want
"You will need that reason to remind yourself of why you are waking up at 5am on the weekend to fit in long training runs."
3. An easy mistake is using someone else’s goal
"If this your approach, you’ll fail. Trust me."
3. It is not about the destination it is about the journey
"If you can get to the start line, look back and say “I gave everything I could”, it is a huge accomplishment in itself."
Things to consider
- Don’t let people around you dissuade you from your journey.
- You will need to find the right balance to fit in work, family life and training. Be flexible.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff and don’t place too much pressure on yourself. If you go out for a nice meal, get back on track with your diet the next day.
- When in doubt, remind yourself why you started, #FindFocus and get back in the zone!
Now that you’re mentally prepared, here are 18 thoughts that are bound to cross your mind during the marathon…